Tampa Laparoscopic Surgeon click here to instantly connect to our office
The skill to heal. The spirit to care. Home Our Team Procedures Patient Testimonials Clinical Research Media Contact Us
the southeastern center

Patient Testimonials

June 13, 2017

I am writing on behalf of my spouse. My wife, Doris has requested that I write comments concerning her Doctor, Doctor Sharona Ross. In May of 2016, Doctor Ross performed at least two procedures on my wife Doris. Procedure # 1 Nissen Fundoplication and Procedure # 2 Hiatal Hernia. These procedures were performed in the Florida Hospital in Tampa, Florida.

It should be noted from the beginning to the end Dr. Ross and her staff were extremely professional. Dr. Ross explained the entire procedure to my wife and put my wife at ease. All patients have normal anxiety about invasive procedures. Dr. Ross is a deeply concerning Doctor about her patients and her decisions in the case of my spouse were 100% accurate. I and my spouse sincerely thank her. We could not have chosen a more compassionate and professional Physician.

May 9th, 2017

Dear Dr. Ross and Florida Hospital Management

We would like to thank Dr. Ross for her medical team’s stellar work my recent surgery (heller myotomy) . Dr. Ross, Dr. Rosemurgy, and their office staff was top notch in every aspect. The have excellent skills and bedside manner.

The surgery at Florida Hospital was a pleasant experience. Thank you to the anesthesia team led by Dr. Richard Warner and Dr. Thomas Hawk, the GI surgery residents that assisted Dr. Ross during the procedure, Lisa (RN) in Pre-Op, and the other following providers: (Guerline nurse) in PACU, Ashley and Donna in Pre-Op Kelli Smith (Op nurse), Rich and Jocelyn (RNs on the 4th floor, south) and Aaneesa of the 4th floor, south team. They were very professional, caring, and had excellent bedside manner.

We thank you all for the excellent care, follow-up, and professionalism. God bless you and yours

Kind Regards,

April 26, 2017

Several months ago, I started the process of looking for someone in the United States that had successfully performed Single Laparoscopic Inguinal Hernia Repair. After nearly a hundred of phone calls and emails, my search landed me on your doorstep. And from the moment I walked into your office, I knew that I was going to be a good hands.

Fast forward... On April 6. 2017 Dr. Iswanto Sucandy on your team performed the surgery and I could not be happier. The hernia was originally thought to be moderate in size but we later learned that it was actually quite large.

I was in surgery for less than 2 hours and within a few days, I was already feeling like a new man. After 2-weeks, I was (for the most part), back to normal activity.

This robotic-assisted technology coupled with your team's obvious talent is something just short of a miracle. I wish I could tell the whole world. Short of that, if you have a bulletin board, please feel free to post this letter there. I want your entire staff to know that they have a made a huge difference in my life. My appreciation also extends to the Pre-Op and Post-Op staff at Florida Hospital Tampa. I shall be eternally grateful to everyone that played a role in the excellent care I received.


John "Jack" White

March 14, 2017

Dear Dr. Ross,

In early December 2016 I developed jaundice. My primary care doctor immediately ordered a CT scan of my abdomen which reevealed a small tumor at the head of the pancreas. I was referred to a St. Petersburg gastroenterologist who determinded the tumor needed to be removed as soon as possible via a Whipple procedure which he scheduled for 2 January, 2017.

Given the scope and complexity of the Whipple procedure my wife and I determined we would like a second opinion. We consulted friends, medical, and legal professionals in our area for advice. Our most trusted sources pointed to your office. Amazingly, or perhaps providentially, your staff was able to work around the Christmas holidays and your very busy schedule to get us in for an office visit on December 30th.

This office visit confirmed the axiom that you only get to make one first impression. Your masterful presentation confirmed the diagonosis that a Whipple procedure was necessary and that doing this with your minimally invasive robotic technology/tools was the optimum course of action. Incredibly, the procedure was scheduled for 4 January, 2017.

The surgery (7 hours!) did happen on the 4th on at Florida Hospital. The next five days were another confirmation we had made the best choice. Your personal attention, concern, and visits, along with the constant and attentive care from your staff, were as much and more than we had ever expected. That coupled with the thoroughly professional care provided by Florida Hospital and staff made for a totally satisfying experience.


David L. Herzik

February 14, 2017

My Road to Recovery with Dr. Sanjeevi

In August 2015, I woke up one night and had difficulty breathing. I was able to catch my breath, but the next day, I continued to have concerns. I went to Baycare Urgent Care and was given a breathing treatment, a prescription for an inhaler, and an ENT referral. I went home, and the next day, I went back with continued breathing issues. I was given some prednisone, with the thinking that I was having some sort of allergic reaction. I was told that if I had further problems, I would need to go to the ER.

I ended up in the ER the following day and was told they could not find any reason why my throat kept closing up. I was sent home and ended up back in the ER the next day with not only a tight throat but severe chest pain. I was given Ativan to the point where I was hallucinating and sent home. I ended up back in the ER with intense chest pain three days later. Then two days later, I was back with a closed throat. I kept getting sent home and was treated in a condescending manner because they could not find anything wrong. By the last visit, I had seen the ENT, and she did diagnose me with laryngeal spasms and acid reflux. However, the ER doctors did not seem to understand how sick I was.

By this point, my neck was so tight I could hardly move it, and I could not eat at all. I was getting weaker and weaker, was having trouble breathing, and was in immense pain, but the doctors at St. Joseph’s North did not seem to believe me. They thought I had intense anxiety which was causing me physical symptoms, even though I had never been to their ER previously or had any anxiety or psychiatric issues.

Finally, I ended up going by ambulance to the hospital and asked them to send my anywhere but St. Joseph’s North. I ended up at Florida Hospital Tampa, where the admitting doctor could see how sick I was. I stayed in the hospital for three days on Protonix. I had an EGD, which showed esophagitis and gastritis. I was discharged on 80 mg per day of pantoprozole. They thought my tight throat was due to my esophagitis, but they did get the acid under control. I stayed on the acid medication but was still having trouble swallowing due to intense tightness in my throat.

I ended up back in the ER three months later because the tightness in my throat was getting worse. I was given some prednisone, as it was thought I might have some sort of inflammation. I was given a follow-up with my gastroenterologist. He ordered a swallowing study. I was also referred to pulmonology and went back to the ENT. The pulmonologist confirmed that I did not have asthma, even though he acknowledged I was having breathing issues. The ENT wanted to see me to a psychiatrist. I ended up passing the swallow study (which was just liquid and thick liquid), so he told me that I could swallow fine, but my mind was tricking me. He then said I could have a second opinion. I went for the second opinion, and he just wanted to do another EGD, but said I had odd symptoms. I decided to go to a specialist outside of my plan who just did acid reflux. He told me that all my care had been good, and that all I really needed was just to take some Tums. By this point, I had pretty much given up that I was going to find an answer, even though I still could not even eat solid food (almost a year later).

I made an appointment with Dr. Sanjeevi with no real expectations for answers. She was closer than my previous gastroenterologist, so I thought she could just write the prescriptions for me. When I saw her, she noted that I was having some breathing difficulties and wrote me a referral to ENT. She also suggested having a manometry. I went to ENT, and he diagnosed me with severe muscle tension (laryngeal muscles) and sent me to speech therapy. During speech therapy, I began to do breathing exercises, yoga, and go to the hot tub. I learned to eat again and began to see more improvement than I had seen in the whole previous year. I had the manometry, which led to a diagnosis of nutcracker esophagus, which helped explain the severe chest pain that I had experienced at the beginning of this ordeal.

Dr. Sanjeevi listened to me and took my concerns seriously. She led to me finally receiving a diagnosis after a year of searching. She is a solutions-oriented doctor, and I feel very confident about being under her care. Even though I have not made a full recovery, having a diagnosis gives me a feeling of security about how to deal with my situation. I also know that the steps I am taking are leading me closer to healing versus just trying a lot of useless paths that were taking me nowhere (like all of the physicians that just wanted to prescribe me anxiety medication).

November 1, 2016

Dr. Ross, My twin sister and I want to thank you. Thank you for giving me back my health and ability to enjoy life!!! I had a nissen fundoplication performed on December 16, 2015 after being misdiagnosed for over 10 years. After the surgery, I was unable to drink or eat without severe discomfort and usually I would end up vomiting.

The surgeon just kept saying it wasn’t the surgery even though I told him I felt like liquid and food was not able to go into stomach. The pain was end of esophagus near stomach. I was admitted to hospital for dehydration and was losing weight weekly due to my inability to get anything down. This surgeon refused consider that just maybe he wrapped the opening too tight. He basically said it would resolve, but could take to a year. He also said that I should not drink with a straw, eat bread, have carbonated drinks and I must take very small bites and chew, chew, chew and chew some more (food should be pretty much liquid before swallowing). I believed him. This surgeon finally referred me out to your office as I keep losing weight, not improving for months and I am so glad he did.

Dr. Ross, you ordered an endoscopy and a contrast swallow test done without the 48-hour camera. We felt that the opening to stomach was too small for camera. You then scheduled surgery for a nissen fundoplication redo just this October. I can drink and eat per the meal plan for recovery from surgery. I have gained 3 pounds and am excited to eat whatever I want after the eight-week recovery period ends.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for giving me my health back. I am telling everyone about you, your practice and the outstanding support staff from the office staff to Florida Hospital’s staff, to pre-op staff to surgical staff and finally the hospital floor staff (nurses, nurse assistants, dietary, janitorial).

Thanks to Dr. Ross and her amazing team at Florida Hospital; I finally have my twin sister back. After almost a year of watching her suffer with severe pain with every attempt to eat. Our world is better because of you, DD. & DK.

July 19, 2016

Dear Dr. Chudzinski,

I cannot thank you enough for giving me the chance to live a healthy life. Your passion and devotion for your job and clients does not go unnoticed. I am so thankful to have you on this journey to health! I cannot remember when I felt better than I do now. I hope that makes all the hours you put in worth it. I truly appreciate everything you’ve done for me (including answering all my silly questions).

Thank you so much.



July 19, 2016

Dr. Chudzinski,

Words cannot express my gratitude to you for the professional manner and skills in which you handled my surgery. I thank God for sendng a surgeon like you my way. I am doing well and getting stronger every day (all the praises go to my heavenly father).

I saw Dr. Al-Hassani today and my PETscan was neagative (praises to my Heavenly Father again). My family also thanks you for your compassion and concern while I was under your care. May God continue to bless and keep you. Again, many thankss. Also, give our thanks to DJ for her care to me.

EP and Family


After two decades of suffering with GERD and seeing numerous GI Doctors, I met with Dr. Arthi Sanjeevi, who quickly diagnosed my issues. Dr. Sanjeevi recommend fundoplication and cholecystectomy. I met with Dr. Ross and discussed the surgeries needed. I scheduled the nissen fundoplication and cholecystectomy immediately. 10 weeks post operation and my life has changed significantly. I feel absolutely wonderful. I'm happier and healthier with no visible scar. I highly recommend Dr. Sanjeevi, Dr. Ross and their team.




Dear Dr. Ross,

If someone was to tell me a year ago that I would be writing you this letter would tell them they were wrong. I am though and I am so grateful and thankful to you! I was dead set against the idea of having the surgery when we brought her to your office to get your opinion. But then we met you and Dr. Neal and my thoughts began to change. I was devastated when you said she would have the hernia repaired and the fundoplication. It was the hardest decision I have ever had to make because she had already been through so much. As the days passed and it got closer to the surgery date I realized that you wouldn’t offer to do this to her if you truly felt it wouldn’t work and help her. I prayed for days for guidance with this decision and then one day I just knew I could trust you with my daughter’s care. She is now doing so well and I owe all that to you and your talented surgical skills and kindness! To think how sick she was last summer and I never even knew why until Dr. Sanjeevi examined her and referred us to you. I just want to thank you and your team for taking such amazing care of our daughter and tell you how grateful we are to you. You are an amazing surgeon and we are so very thankful for your skills and for your kindness. I will never forget when you looked right at me before the surgery and you asked me if I was okay. That really meant the world to me. Our daughter is healthy because of you!!!




Dr. Ross and Dr. Rosemurgy,

I hope you haven't forgotten our family because we will always remember you and we will always be so grateful to you. We so appreaciated you taking us as a fly in patient from Bartow Memorial at the last minute even though it happened on a Friday night (June of 2015). Dr. Medalle shared with us that you never even hesitate in answering him when he called you. "We'll take him, send him on over."

When I learned that Dr. Rosemurgy had been trained by Dr. Leffy Carlton, and we shared stories that Dr. Carlton was a neighbor and playmate of my mom’s when they were children in Wauchula, I knew in my heart that God had sent us to the right people and place.

“It’s going to be a marathon, but you are going to get your husband back” – those were your words, Dr. Rosemurgy. It was a long ordeal but with your great talent and knowledge as doctors, he made it through AND his mind is as alert as ever. Do you remember, Dr. Ross, when you told him he had to be on that liquid diet until the drainage tubes were removed, and we said – but it is hard to liquefy a steak. I think he is even a little bit more stubborn than before.

Dr. Ross and Dr. Rosemurgy - - you are a great team and we highly recommend you to everyone. We will always be indebted to the both of you for everything you did in sending Johnny back to us.


My dad's is 85 years old, and recovering from robotic whipple surgery he completed on December 17th 2015.

I am compelled to write this letter expressing my sincere and deep appreciation for the work that Dee Dee Barreiro has performed on behalf of my dad and my family.

As we performed our extensive due-diligence regarding what hospital, and more importantly, the doctore we wanted to peform the surgery, Dee Dee put us over the top to go with Dr. Rosemury and Dr. Ross. Dee Dee was truly the third leg in the stool to help us make our final decision. I even worked up the courage to tell Dr. Rosemury that it's a good thing his confidence is tempered by Dee Dee's humility! Her responsiveness excelled well beyond the personnel at well-known MD Anderson and Johns Hopkins.

Our interaction with Dee Dee has been smooth sailing since our first meeting, the nerve-racking time leading up to the surgery, and our post-operative experience. I'm sure you are alll well aware how anxiety and morbid fear can manifest itself when one learns that a beloved family memeber has pancreatic cancer. Dee Dee exercised incredibile patience and compassion. She answered at least twenty of questions, in addition to addressing questions from other family memebers. She always responded with patience, warmth, and kindness. Her demeanor alone helped us feel more relaxed about the procedure.

I cannot say enough positive things about Dee Dee. The only negative I can think of is that she didn't tell me her real name was Carmen until two whole weeks after I met her (I thought she liked me more than that)!! :) :)

I offer this letter without reservation and with the greatest enthusiasm.


Pinellas County Florida

Subject: Recommendation for Dr. Sharona B. Ross

To Whom It May Concern:

After going through several treatments for difficulty in swallowing by having my esophagus stretched three times and added to that I had a large sliding hiatal hernia along with the complications of gerd that caused me much discomfort to the point of ending up with aspiration pneumonia several times and chocking to the point of passing out. One surgeon wanted to only monitor and another surgeon wanted to perform surgery with many incisions and did not express much confidence with my outcome. My primary care physician was looking for the best surgeon that would be able to help me with the least invasive form of surgery.

My PCP has another patient with similar symptoms to mine and he was having surgery performed by two surgeons in my area. My doctor waited to see what the outcome was. This patient could not say enough good about the surgeons that performed his surgery. The patient was extremely elated with the outcome of his surgery. Therefore, I was referred to Dr. Rosemurgy and Ross by my primary care physician of Pinellas County Florida.

At my first visit with Dr. Sharona B. Ross I was impressed with the staff and the office atmosphere. From the beginning I and my wife came with as much of my medical information that they were pretty confident that they could help me with laparoscopic surgery through the belly button with the less anesthesia and hospital stay with a quicker recovery time. So my journey began, I had to lose 25 lbs. prior to surgery and do a lot of exercise. I left the office with one goal in mind and that was to follow all the instructions that were required to reach my goal. I went into surgery on Dec 10, 2015 and Dr. Ross and the anesthesiologist were very informative as to what would happen.

My surgery went well and I cannot thank Dr. Sharona Ross enough for the difference in how I am compared to where I was before surgery. I consider myself on of Dr. Ross’s Groupies….the type of surgery I had is called a Nissen Fundoplication. There are several videos available that will give anyone an idea how the procedure is done. They were very informative.

With great confidence, I would recommend either Dr. Ross or Dr. Rosemurgy for this type of surgery to another having similar symptoms as mine.


Dr. Ross and Dr. Rosemurgy,

I had a swallowing problem starting in 2002 that got progressively worse for 10 years. Food and liquids did not go down my esophagus. It hurt to have food stuck in my esophagus and vomitting was the only way to get relief. In Feb 2012 my esophagus was dilated. This helped slightly for about a week. In June 2012 I had the botox procedure. This helped quite a bit at first but after a couple of months I was back to vomitting.

When we moved to Florida in 2012 the vomitting was with almost every meal. It was very painful. I went to a gastroenterologist in Ft. Myers. He reviewed the situation, diagnosed achalasia and referred me to "the best" Dr. Ross and Dr. Rosemurgy at Florida Hospital Tampa. Dr. Ross recommended surgery: Laparoendoscopic-single site Heller myotomy with anterior fundoplication for achalasia. Dr. Ross explained the procedure and set up the preliminary tests and the surgery.I spent one night at Florida Hospital Tampa. The staff and the hospital were excellent. There is no scar from the surgery because it goes through the belly button area.Dr. Ross gave me a 3 month progressive diet. It was easy to follow. Although soft and bland, the results were the best possible. After the diet I could eat everything without symptoms. One year later I can eat whatever and whenever I want without any symptoms. Thank you my beautiful Dr. Ross and my fantastic Dr. Ross and Dr. Rosemurgy!!


To the Hospital Administration:

My husband, DC, was recently diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. His journey began in April when he wasn’t feeling well. After lab work by his primary physician in Bradenton, FL he was diagnosed with Hepatitis A. A couple of weeks passed and he wasn’t getting any better so he was admitted to Manatee Memorial Hospital on 4/30/15. An Ultrasound exam was performed where a mass was discovered on the head of his pancreas. He was transferred to Florida Hospital on 5/6/15 where he stayed until 5/27/15.

During his stay at Manatee Memorial Hospital, he was fortunate enough to have Dr. Kocab (gastroenterologist). Dr. Kocab inserted a temporary stent in the bile duct to drain the blockage caused by the mass. Dr. Kocab explained the situation to us and stated that he would like to consult with Dr. Rosemurgy. We agreed and Dr. Kocab was able to coordinate a transfer from Manatee Memorial to Florida Hospital for his treatment. On 5/6/15 Dennis was transferred by ambulance to Florida Hospital.

So our journey continued…

Needless to say our lives have been a whirlwind since 4/30/15 but we feel compelled to share the experiences we had while at your facility.

We must congratulate your organization and your staff for creating the most caring health care facility that both he and I have ever been associated with. It was the most positive experience, from the time we were greeted by your valet staff through to the meeting the most qualified and caring clinical staff and physicians.

Dennis was lucky enough to acquire room 469 on Four South. It was a huge room with a beautiful view, such a great place to be to support a positive attitude towards wellness.

Your staff beginning with the Valet, Volunteers, Housekeeping, Dietary, Ancillary services (Radiology, Lab, PT, OT), Nursing and Physicians are absolutely wonderful. We hesitate to name names because we’d hate to miss anyone as they were all outstanding, but there were some who really went above and beyond and will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Nurses: Aerial (1st shift) was outstanding from the moment we met him until we said goodbye.

He was so caring and continually educated us along our journey. We absolutely loved this young man. You’re lucky to have such a caring staff member.

Mary (2nd shift) was another example of the most caring and efficient nurse a patient could ever hope for. Her sense of humor often brought a smile to Dennis. Her expertise was often called upon to assist with his care. Her calming and reassuring discussions helped to put everything into perspective. Mary is a true and compassionate professional. Again your organization is fortunate to have such a wonderful employee.

Dietary: Mary always came to his room with a smile on her face and always willing to assist

Him with his meal. She made the limited eating experience as enjoyable as she was able to.

Though we have named just a few of the individuals that assisted with his care while at your facility, please know that his care was outstanding due to everyone we met during his journey.

Congratulations on the culture that you have created and “Thank You” to everyone who made our lives better during his stay at Florida Hospital.


D and M C

Just before I reached my 84th birthday in November, 2013, I became very sick. I had been hospitalized for 3 weeks unable to tolerate any food/liquid by mouth. An endoscopy showed a probable gastro-intestinal malignancy. My outlook seemed very grim.

However, on the same day of this finding, I had extremely good fortune to be referred to Dr Ross and her care at Florida Hospital Tampa. Her skilled Whipple procedure extracted a stage 4 tumor from my duodenum that resolved the immediate symptoms this growth caused. While recovering from Whipple surgery, she installed a port for administration of chemotherapy. After twelve chemo treatments using the Gemzar protocol and no detection of any further tumor development, the cancer treatment center wanted me to go through additional radiation treatment for "insurance". She confirmed that this was not a good idea. Subsequent imaging at the cancer treatment center showed a shadow on my liver which was interpreted as further cancer and I received several additional chemo treatments which had a really negative impact on my quality of life. she arranged for better imaging at Florida Hospital Tampa that allowed me to halt the chemo treatments. Since then life has normalized and I am now months past my 85th birthday. First, her surgical treatment saved my life. Then, her ongoing involvement and monitoring post-surgery has helped me navigate through the complexities of the medical system. I really appreciate the positive approach she brought to my care and I credit her and her team for not only saving my life, but restoring a quality of life that makes every day worth living.

I can't ever thank her enough for taking the lead in getting me through all this; please continue to be there for me!

God bless her and may Dr. Ross have a very happy life.



To Dr. Sharona Ross:

For approximately 20-30 years I have lived with abdominal and intestinal pain. At one point one of my physicians indicated that I had "GERD". I was prescribed Prilosec daily and after approximately 20 years, I noticed that I had other "intestinal" issues.

When I turned 49 I had my first colonoscopy. The gastrointestinal surgeon put in his report that "other than a massive amount of adhesions, I had no issues with my intestines". This may have been one of the answers to why I had such painful bowel movements and also why I was diagnosed with IBS.

Between the GERD and the IBS, I noticed that occasionally I would have severe pain in my abdomen. In 2009, I was diagnosed with a Hiatal hernia. From that point forward, I was in a great deal of pain. My physicians informed me that "we (medical professionals) really don't do much with a hernia, just watch it". So, I watched it.

This hernia finally progressed to a diagnosis of an "extremely large hernia". At that point, I took matters into my own hands and contacted Dr. Sharona Ross to discuss my options. She performed a number of tests for this hernia. One with the results that if it was 14 or 17, it should be addressed surgically, I was informed my test results were 91 on the 1 st day and 87 on the 2 nd day. That confirmed that surgery was necessary.

Dr. Ross sent me to a cardiologist and a pulmonary specialist for surgical clearance. I needed to see the pulmonary specialist because I was diagnosed with COPD, due to my former smoking, and the cardiologist because of age. Upon further exams by the pulmonologist, it was determined I could have surgery, but that my lungs were really not functioning well. I saw Dr. Ross that same week and she showed me an x-ray of my lungs and the hernia. These x-rays were part of my initial work up for surgery. It was apparent that my hernia was invading into my diaphragm and my lungs. No wonder I had trouble breathing.

On November 7, 2013, I was admitted to Florida Hospital Tampa for a Toupet fundoplication and repair of the esophageal hiatus/giant hiatal hernia and reduction of the giant hiatal hernia.

The surgery was performed without complication and I was released the same afternoon.

The results of this surgery were immediately seen. First, I no longer needed Prilosec. Second, I could breath. I am almost 5 months after surgery and I can perform normal functions without the need of my fast acting inhaler. I have been able to keep my weight in the normal BMI range and just have a better quality of life.

Had I not taken my medical situation into my own hands, I am convinced I would be very sick today. I know that my physicians have their hands tied by the insurance companies and the government bureaucracy. The "squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Please, if one feels that one's body is not feeling like it should. Take the major step of getting a second opinion. Although I had many doctors in the course of the 20 years span, due to insurance coverage's changing, I never asked for a second opinion until last summer. I pushed and I got the referral, was able to change my Medicare Coverage back to basic Medicare with a Supplemental policy and was able to get this surgery done without further referrals.

It is this patient's opinion that if I had not taken matters into my own hands I'd be a lot sicker. The final diagnosis that I'm left with is Barrett's Esophagus.

I am eternally grateful to Dr. Ross for giving me back my life.


Dear Dr. Ross, Dr. Rosemurgy, and Staff:

First of all I want to thank all of you for giving me a second chance at living a normal life again. I really had no idea how sick I was until you came into my life.

When Dr. Ross came to see me on November 4 th, 2012, she presented a plan she really felt would help me. My symptoms before my surgery were crippling. I had nausea and vomiting with stomach pain, feelings of choking and throat pain even when drinking water. All the prescription and OTC medications were not helping. I lived like this for over five years.

After my surgery within days, I was able to lay down flat and I haven't been able to do that in years because of the severe reflux I suffered before surgery. The surgical incision is so minimal, because Dr. Ross used Robotic Surgery and made a small incision at the umbilical area; I never even knew it was there. I'm able to sleep all night: no more vomiting and no pain with swallowing anything. It doesn't take 2 to 3 glasses of water to get a little bit of food down. I can now go out and be with family and friends without declining to go out because of my unpredictable stomach.

I truly feel like I have a second change because of this surgery that repaired my sick digestive tract. Thank you again, Drs. Ross and Rosemurgy, and to your staff for helping me. God bless all of you and I look forward to my next post-up visit in May.



In the spring of 2012, I attended a program at Florida Hospital South in Orlando "Avoiding Esophageal Cancer" by Philip N. Styne, MD., AGAF., Medicine Specialists at Florida Hospital.

I had many questions as I had been on Nexium or Prevacide for approximately thirteen years, have osteoporosis and Barrett's Esophagus, and a large hiatal hernia. One of my questions was regarding the procedure Nissen Fundoplication. Dr. Styne said a patient with osteoporosis and Barrett's should definitely consider the Nissen procedure and he feels it is an under-utilized procedure. I proceeded to set in motion to have the surgery.

After having a Bravo 48 hr PH Monitoring with a score of 59.3, DeMeester normals less than 14.72 and a UGI 15-degree head down with bagel and marshmallow swallow, I was told I was definitely a candidate for the surgery.

After doing my homework on surgeons, I had a consultation with two different surgical groups. I chose to have my surgery with Dr. Alexander Rosemurgy and Dr. Sharona Ross at the Florida Hospital in Tampa.

Dr. Sharona Ross did my surgery on October 25 th, 2012. The surgery went very well. I had discomfort and need for pain medication for approximately three days and then took children's liquid Tylenol for three more days.

Since the surgery, I feel full quickly and experience gas but this is not a huge problem. BMs were never a problem. I did take Renew Life Ultimate Flora 200 billion Maximum Support Probiotic two weeks before surgery and 100 billion after surgery for about two weeks and have since then continued on 15 billion probiotics, which I feel made a huge difference in my digestive track handling changes in my stomach. I also took four ounces of Lakewood organic pure aloe juice twice a day following surgery for about two months, which I feel helped internal healing. I then went to four ounces once a day before bed, which I feel helps my esophagus stay healthy.

Four weeks after surgery, Thanksgiving Day, I had a small amount of most everything served. It is now three months after surgery and I am so happy that I had the surgery. I thank Dr. Ross for doing such a good job, however, it is important that the patient does their part by monitoring their eating and adding foods slowly. I can eat anything in moderation but have learned eating healthy makes a big difference in the outcome. Best of all I don't take PPI therapy any longer.

If you are a patient planning to have a Nissen Fundoplication, please feel free to call me if you have any questions.


I first met Dr. Rosemurgy in 2012 when I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. At that time it was determined that my cancer was inoperable. I entered into a clinical trial using a placebo or a drug called Dasatinib (the trial drug), along with chemotherapy for five months. At this point my cancer became operable, and Dr. Rosemurgy, Dr, Ross, along with their team performed an extended Whipple procedure August 22nd. That night I was transferred to the I.C.U.. The next day I was moved to a regular room where I spent the next six days until being discharged.

At home I took pain medication for about a week. I also developed GERD which was relieved by taking Prilosec. I had a drain in my chest that made it difficult to sleep. The drain had to be emptied every couple of hours. However, this became less of a problem as

there was less drainage as days went by. I was very tired and slept often during the day, as my night sleeping was interrupted due to drain and incision. I had very soft stools and was prescribed enzymes to digest my food, which I am told may be temporary.

After the operation my pathology report was very good. However, it is standard procedure to continue with chemotherapy and radiation as follows, three weeks of chemo, six weeks of chemo and radiation, then four more weeks of chemo. This schedule may

be different for other patients.

I would highly recommend Dr. Rosemurgy and Dr. Ross. They are both very caring and highly skilled. I have recently moved to Florida from Massachusetts and was very lucky to have found them. I feel they saved my life or at least gave me a better chance for survival of this disease. Dr. Rosemurgy was referred to me by Dr, Raja in Englewood Florida, about 100 miles of Tampa.

I have deep appreciation for Dr. Rosemurgy, Dr. Ross, their fellows, as well as the rest of the team. Their office staff is kind, friendly and extremely helpful.



I experienced reflux for more than 25 years. I was taken to the hospital with severe chest pains and it was then I was diagnosed with a Hiatal Hernia. I have been prescribed various medications over time, including Prilosec, Nexium and Protonix. Over the last 15 years I was taking one or the other of these medications twice a day. The medications worked, for the most part, as long as I stayed away from certain foods.

During this time I developed Barrett's Esophagus and was worried it might turn into Esophageal Cancer. I talked with my family doctor and he suggested I see Doctors Rosemurgy/Ross for evaluation/consultation. The recommended procedure was explained in great detail and I was also shown a video of the procedure. I left the office with no doubt I made the right decision to go through with the surgery.

My surgery was on 21 August 2012. The procedure is called ESOPHYX also known as TRANSORAL INCISIONLESS FUNDOPLICATION (TIF). Had I known beforehand what the results would be, I would have done this a long time ago! My surgery was on-time as scheduled. I awoke in the recovery room in quite a bit of pain. Medication was given and soon I was comfortable. Next was transportation to a private room and great caregivers. After a few hours I was offered a liquid food tray. I ate everything and was able to keep it all down without a problem. I asked about going home and was told I could if I was able to urinate. Shortly thereafter I was discharged with pain medication.

I took the pain medication that night to assure I would get a decent night's sleep. Other than the initial pain meds, I was not in severe enough pain to require more. Other than scratchy throat and an ache in my left shoulder, which lasted about 10 days, I felt no need to take any further pain medication, not even Aleve, Motrin, or Tylenol. I followed the recommended diet steps and have experienced no problems whatsoever.

I would recommend anyone having GERD to consider having this done. The procedure is no more uncomfortable than having a regular endoscopy.

Otto F.

Wanted to write and tell you how much I appreciated your high quality, well organized care, before, during, and after my surgery to repair the Hiatal Hernia

Prior to my surgery I had gastric reflux disease for 10 years which required Nexium two times a day to keep my symptoms controlled. The past year however, even with the Nexium, I developed chronic phlegm in my throat, frequent coughing at night expectorating large amounts of phlegm.

Immediately after surgery the phlegm was gone. I experienced mild upper chest discomfort for one day and no pain requiring medication following surgery.

No coughing at all, and I eat everything without hearburn. I feel wonderful and will be forever grateful to you and your team. You are indeed a role model for women in general and especially women who wish to follow medicine as a career.

Again my deepest gratitude,

Patricia H, R.N.

On March 3, 2010, I had a laparoendoscopic single-site Toupet fondoplication; giant hiatal hernia with gastric herniation reduction, and hiatal reconstruction surgical procedure performed by Dr. Sharona Ross at Tampa General Hospital.

This was the result of years (30+) of gastroesophageal reflux disease and giant hiatal hernia which caused pain, distress, and actual fear for the last five years leading up to the surgery. Prior to my initial consultation with Drs. Ross and Rosemurgy, I experienced shortness of breath and chest pain making my primary physician fear serious heart problems.

After consulting with Dr. Ross, where she explained the recommended surgical procedure in detail, including its possible risks, and after doing my own research, I decided to proceed with the surgery.

Dr. Ross completed the surgery with only one laparoendoscopic site through the belly button. My recovery was remarkable with very little pain (absolutely no pain pills after leaving the hospital) and NO scaring to the abdomen at all. It is truly amazing that she can perform such complex surgery without any outside evidence! Given the same circumstances and set of facts and the remarkable way I feel one year post surgery, I would not hesitate to have the surgery, and I certainly recommend that anyone facing similar surgery seriously consider Dr. Ross' procedure.

Cheryl R. S.
Tampa, Florida

I am a 68 year old male living in Bradenton, Florida. I had the unfortunate diagnosis of a pancreatic mass, and the awful family history, that all of my siblings have died from cancer, as well as my mother. I have NO family left at all. This was found quite by accident several years ago, by my primary doctor who ordered a CT scan for a sore spot on the abdomen after my fourth hernia surgery.

Fortunately, I was referred to Dr. Ross and Dr. Rosemurgy. Initially, the first biopsy confirmed that this was a cyst, and I was to follow up in one year. A year later, the next biopsy was inconclusive, and some numbers were elevated, which alarmed the doctors. Dr. Sharona Ross recommended the whipple procedure.

I am certainly counting my blessings for the day I was referred to her; she is an excellent surgeon, and has without a doubt, saved my life. I am no stranger to surgeries; I have had back surgeries, two total knees, but this was a big one! If she recommends this for you, you may be sure she has your best interests at heart. I did all she recommended; I had lost about 68 pounds by the end of the first year, and kept it off. For the first time in my life, my labs were perfect, and I had come off medication for high blood pressure and diabetes. The rest was in her hands!

Because of her expertise, I was driving in three weeks, and have had a great remarkable recovery, and this horrible diagnosis hanging over my life is gone! I literally owe her my life; she is a fabulous surgeon, and we are so lucky to have her ! Whatever she would recommend, you may be sure you will be in good hands. THANK YOU DR ROSS!

Herman B.
Bradenton, Florida

It started about nine years ago. I was eating something and swallowed. I thought I had air trapped between the food and my stomach. I was trying to swallow and stretch my chest to get the air to pass around the food. I drank some water but it only made it worst. It finally passed after 30 seconds to a minute. I didn't really think to much about it then. As the years pass, the bouts of this "Air Trapped" were on and off but they were getting worst. The very worst one was when I was eating an apple while driving up a curvy road in California. I had to throw up the chunk of apple to get relief. Try that while driving. Talk about interesting.

How I was diagnosed: I caught the flu on a Friday afternoon/evening in January 2011. Chills, body ache, temperature, and over all not feeling well. I was not eating much because I just was not hungry. I survived the weekend and on Monday night/Tuesday morning it broke. I was drinking a glass of cold water and noticed that it sort of puddled at the top of my stomach. Normally, when I drink a glass of cold water, I feel it go all the way down to my stomach. This time, it didn't. I thought it was a little weird but again, no big deal. The real problem was eating. My stomach was still not 100% and it hurt at the top of my stomach, right under the ziphoid process. On Wednesday, I was in more than a little pain. I tried to sleep and found that I couldn't sleep very well. The next day, I went to my doctor. Based on my pain in the chest area, they ordered a chest X-ray. They found that the ziphoid process was cracked (happened as a kid with my brother jumping onto me, knee first). They then ordered a CT scan of the stomach area. During that CT scan, they found the hiatal hernia. The stomach had been pulled up through the diaphragm and had been causing the GERD.

Knowing that I wanted it fixed and I wanted a woman to do the surgery, I started looking for a general surgeon. Why I wanted a woman to do my surgery? After 20 years in the military and being told who will do what to me, I made the decision to have a woman do the surgery. I think women doctors listen to their patients better and explain what is happening and what will happen better.

Of my six prior surgeries, I only had one woman doctor work on me. That was for my inguinal hernia. My primary care physician is a woman and I love having her as my doctor. This is just my opinion and it is my body.

I decided to get the surgery as soon as I found out it was repairable. I have a rather active life style and wanted to get back to it as soon as possible. Some people thought just taking a pill to alleviate the problem would be good. The problem with that thought is a few things: 1. Taking a pill that doesn't have long term research may not be the best solution. 2. It doesn't fix the problem, it just masks it. I also wanted to get it done and over with so when I'm older I won't have the problem. Plus, I would heal better at 44 then 54 or older.

I was referred to Dr. Sharona Ross. She showed me on the CT scan the area of the problem. She drew out what you would do to fix it depending on the results of the other test. At that time, I was weighing in between 195 and 200 pounds at 5'10 and in "Good Shape". I work out in the gym, run, skydive, bike, and hike. I had the surgery on the 3rd of March 2011 and released from the hospital on the 4th of March 2011.

Lets talk about the discomfort level. The surgery was hiatal hernia repair with anti-acid reflux surgery (Nissen fundoplication). This was accomplished through the bellybutton with only one incision. Being a male at 44 years of age, scars don't bother me. I've had some bumps and bruises (six surgeries to include three left knee surgeries to include the last one of an ACL repair, lingual hernia, LASIC, been hit by a car, broke my nose, motorcycle crash, and two broken toes {one on each foot}, and a left shoulder surgery to repair two tendons) in my life time. The first two days were the worst. I normally don't take pain medication and thought I could ease the pain with Tylenol and Motrin. For the first day, I tried that and found the pain level was a bit too much for that remedy. I had to take what I was prescribed twice . The air trapped inside my body was trying to get out. I would try to sleep on my side, switching from one side to the other. When I rolled to one side, the air would cause me a great deal of discomfort. Once I knew what it was, I just concentrated on the pain, knowing it would ease once the air went to the other shoulder. Two days of that was more than enough. I was not eating much of the "LIQUID DIET" because I was not hungry. By the third day, I was getting my appetite back. I was drinking water, broths, diet drinks, and extra strength Tylenol. By the first week, I was down to 178 pounds. I started walking for exercise and a mile drained me. By the second week, I was down to 173 pounds for my two week follow up.

After three months, post operation, I'm at 178 pounds. I'm working out at my normal routine of five days a week, running six days a week and skydiving almost every other weekend.

Some of the key points for me were:

1. Finding foods that second and third week that were soft and taste good. Mashed potatoes, tuna, chicken in the foil packet, apple sauce, oatmeal, and macaroni and cheese.
2. Draw backs: eating a cheese, egg, and sausage sandwich then going to 13,500 feet, jump, and land didn't agree with me. It was my first egg, sausage and cheese sandwich after the surgery. (I am not sure if it was the egg, cheese, or sausage that cause the discomfort. I have eaten other foods and then jumped after the surgery with just a little gas build up.)
3. Eating: I'm back to eating almost any and everything that I ate before the surgery. I just don't eat as much as I did before the surgery. I have cut down on the deserts, amount of coffee, sugar, and most dairy products. I will still drink a glass of milk or have a bowl of cereal.
I am extremely happy that I had the surgery. I'm back to enjoying my life again without the "Trapped Air" or throwing up to get relief. The recovery was quick and I'm back to doing whatever I want too. I know it will take about a year for the body to "Heal" but it is fixed and I feel great.

Patrick W. F.

I want to thank Dr. Ross and Dr. Rosemurgy for restoring my quality of life. I can now sleep throughout the night without awakening every 1-2 hours with acid reflux in my throat and mouth. They performed a Nissen Fundoplication and found that my hiatal hernia was larger than expected. It has been 3 ½ months since surgery. I have been off Omeprazole, Ranitidine and Gaviscon liquid, of which I was taking large amounts to get relief during night. I can now sleep throughout the night and no sore throat. I had no problems following surgery.

My history: 3 years ago I was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus and a hiatal hernia at age 62. The Barrett's resolved, but the main problem was my nighttime acid reflux, or anytime I fell asleep even sitting upright, I would awaken with acid in my throat. I had a continuous very sore throat. I was referred to an ENT, who increased Omeprazole to 40 mg twice daily, and said my throat would take months to heal. I started taking Gaviscon liquid every 1-2 hours during the night for relief. After a year, I started to get a burning metallic taste in my mouth, and then my tongue became irritated. Another ENT doctor encouraged me to have surgery to correct the hiatal hernia.

I would encourage anyone with a hiatal hernia and symptoms to have surgery. Dr. Ross and Dr. Rosemurgy are the best!

Thanks so much!


December 1, 2014

Dr. Rosemurgy.

I am the brother of HH and the son of LS, whom both you performed much needed surgery on.

On behalf of my family and myself, I want to express my heartfelt thanks to you and the greatness of your ability as a doctor of surgery.

I know that you extended the life of my (85) year old mom, and words just can't express our appreciation and respect for your compassion and efforts to extend, improve, and cure the medical needs of so many who are hurting.

Dr. Rosemurgy, thank you 10 million times, and maybe one day, in some way, we can repay your greatness in some way.

In love and Appreciation forever,


Dr. Arthi Sanjeevi , thank you with all my heart for stepping in and helping me when no one else could. Just when it looked like I was heading for a very difficult open surgery, Dr. Sharona Ross sent me to you. I will be forever grateful to her for never giving up. Because of your bravery, determination and skill, my recovery has been nothing short of miraculous. For that I owe you literally, my life. As my wife Elena has said many times, “you are our angel.” Also, I want to thank Dr. Alexander Rosemurgy and all the skilled an compassionate doctors, nurses, technicians and support staff at Florida Hospital. I am grateful for all the wonderful people who are at Florida Hospital Tampa.

Best Regards,

Click here to read about our cutting edge research and innovation
Sharona Ross, M.D. - Tampa Laparoscopic Surgeon
Located at 3000 Medical Park Dr, Suite 500 Tampa, FL 33613. View Map
Phone: (813) 615-7030